Glutathione is the mother of all antioxidants. The master detoxifier. Glutathione is the most critical and integral part of helping your immune system do its job of fighting infections and preventing cancer. It is the most important molecule to stay healthy and prevent disease.
Does that get your attention? It should.
How Does Glutathione Work?
Glutathione contains a sulfur chemical group (this is its secret weapon). Sulfur is a sticky, smelly molecule that acts like fly paper. All the bad stuff in the body “sticks” or gets caught to this sulfur “fly paper,” including free radicals and toxins like mercury and heavy metals, which are removed through our waste.
The good news is glutathione is produced naturally in our body and is recycled. But when our nutrition is poor, or we are exposed to environmental stressors, or over-the-counter medicines start to muck up our liver or kidneys, toxins start to overload our systems and our naturally occurring glutathione supply needs help to replenish.
How to Replenish Glutathione
Here are a few ways to replenish and resupply our glutathione:
- Eat foods that are rich in sulfur. The main ones in the diet are garlic, onions, and cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, kale, collards, cabbage, cauliflower, etc.), and eggs.
- Exercise. Exercise boosts your glutathione levels and this helps boost your immune system, improve detoxification, and enhance your body’s own antioxidant defenses.
- Take glutathione supporting supplements. Here are the main supplements needed to consistently boost glutathione:
- fish oil (omega-3 fatty acids)
- N-acetyl-cysteine (NAC)
- methylation nutrients, such as folate and B vitamins (especially B6 and B12)
- vitamin C
- vitamin E
- milk thistle
- I also recommend a liposomal glutathione spray supplement
We do have all these vitamins and supplements available at Live Well.
Immunity Starts With Basic Health and Wellness
As many of you know, I have been working on my functional medicine certification and have had nearly 27 years of clinical experience in health and wellness in my chiropractic career. However, in the past two years with the onset of the pandemic and discussions of immunity abound, some things are consistently true: eating nutritious food, moving our bodies consistently and abundantly (preferably in fresh air and sunshine), drinking enough water, getting adjusted regularly, and taking immune boosting supplements to help support our bodies will always be the right thing to do!
Your takeaway is this — healthy bodies have healthy amounts of glutathione. Choose one of the areas above that you could improve upon and let’s replenish and restore our glutathione naturally!
If you’d like to dive deeper into your health, contact me to set up a functional medicine consult.